Sunday, September 27, 2015

A PROMISE MADE



     I'll come back for you. I promise. She reached out and handed me the barrette that had fallen to the floor.
    I looked into her blue eyes, seeing the tears she tried to blink away. Blue eyes, I realized decades later, that were only one of the genetic gifts she gave me. 
    I watched her stand, then walk halfway across an enormous room. She hesitated, then turned quickly to her right, hurried down a long green hallway, down a short flight of stairs, and out a heavy wooden door that closed behind her with a dull muffled thud. 
    Some part of me held on to that promise. 
    I'll come back for you. 
   A man came along pushing a string mop, making wet grey swirls across the black and white marble floor. Then another man in a dark brown suit, the kind a man wears to church on Sunday, who kept looking over his shoulder as he clicked his camera. 
   A woman walked into the vestibule and looked at me, surprised. Maybe shocked would be a better word. Then another, then a group of them, clucking like a flock of hens. 
   They wanted to know who I was. 
   Where did I live? 
   How old was I?  Where was my mommy? 
   "What's your mommy's name?"
   "Mommy."What else did she expect me to say? A policeman walked into the vestibule looked at the women and shook his head. He squatted down in front of me.
   "Are you hungry?" He pointed to his mouth.
I nodded yes. No one had thought to ask that.
    "Do you have to go to the bathroom?" He pointed to the ladies' room sign.
Another nod. One of the women volunteered to take me. When I got back to "my" bench someone had produced some cookies and a small glass bottle of milk. No glass, no straw. 
    The women evaporated; one minute they were there, the next only the policeman and I remained.
    A huge hand took my own and we walked down the green hallway to that heavy wooden door. I had to reach way up to hold his hand, but I was determined not to let go.
    The door closed with the same muffled thud and I knew I'd never walk through it again. A moment of panic came up with the cookies and milk.
How would my mother find me if I wasn't there anymore?
***

No comments:

Post a Comment